Monday, January 25, 2010

Creative Director, Matthew Mikulsky Makes : HOW Magazines "Why I became a Designer" List - January 20, 2010

http://howdesign.com/article/whyibecameadesigner
Break out the cake and bubbly, HOW is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2010. We're not only celebrating our special day, but we're celebrating the design industry, which is why we asked readers to tell us why they became a designer or to share an experience that influenced their decision for this career path. We received stories that are heart-warming, comical and inspirational. See for yourself.
Here is Matthew's top 25 reasons...
25. After realizing how expensive animation school was, I took classes in design at a local community college.
24. Loved illustration and art my whole life, but realized you have to be dead before your artwork can make you money.
23. A friend enrolled in some design classes and said I should do it too (So influential at that the age of 20).
22. I always had a crush on typography. 21. I started to dream in color separations.
20. My art teacher said I could make money with my creative ideas.
19. I loved what Warhol did with print.
18. Then I saw what Chuck Close did with print.
17. My mother supported my talent at a very young age. I think it was 3? I did a nice chicken illustration with red ink. It's framed and still is proudly displayed in their house.
16. I wasn't very good at much else. Straight "Ds” and “Cs” with an "A" in art helped a GPA a tiny bit.
15. Found out I could make some cash designing local punk bands CD artwork.
14. It’s the only way you can sport a Kern shirt without being called a poser.
13. I liked the idea of sitting around in a beanbag chair all day brainstorming.
12. Love to say the word "Helvetica".
11. Being paid to go on press checks sounded like easy money. (No one ever told me press run 24-7!)
10. I love working on Macs and have no concept of anything PC. My options were limited.
9. I was the only one in the class to have a paid internship which lead to my first full-time graphic design job.
8. It always bugged me when the Sunday Funny Pages were out of registration.
7. I like using the excuse "I'm a designer."
6. It's cool to say "I'm a designer!"
5. I was told by a teacher that my handy skills with scissors and x-acto would be valuable. At the time I laughed but it became true!
4. You can pretty much do anything you want and say "it's part of my creative process!"
3. I liked that my work could influence a purchasing decision.
2. Good branding makes me happy.
1. I hate wearing neckties.

No comments:

Post a Comment