Friday, June 5, 2009

The logo needs to be BIGGER! BIGGER! BIGGER!

I received a email from a college of mine. In regards to the size of a logo. In this case their client wanted to make the corporate logo bigger. This is often the case with owners and marketing directors. They think their logo should be the showcase piece. They are flat out wrong. Here is my response...

As a Creative Director, your logo on the website is a perfect size. Marketing Directors often feel the need to make their logos over powering. An over powering logo takes away the attention which should be given to the company's products.

The logo has the correct amount of white space around it. Your current site gives me a strong brand feel. When a question like this comes to play, our agency often go to other sites to see how they handle similar requests. In this case I went to aveda.com. Aveda has a strong brand presence and your site made me think Aveda.

I highly encourage you and your business partner to look at that site. One beauty of the site is it stresses their product and keeps their brand message strong. I have never had the opportunity to visit your store in person. However, your current website makes me want to. I'd be more than happy to chat with you and your business partner.

Making your logo larger will take away attention from your products and image. Let the viewer digest the imagery. They will notice the logo, remember it is on every page. That alone will give it the attention it deserves.

Hopefully this will help you make a better decision before doing something which I believe will hurt your brand.

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment